WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: HIGH POINT
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:59 pm 

He took a university that was off many people's radar and seemed to be fading-away and made it a dream campus. It's designed around what today's students want (what attracts them to a campus). He also focused on those life skills. He brought-in the money to secure their future and expand. This small campus and himself became leaders in downtown High Point's transformation. And High Point University is now growing and appearing on lists of top colleges in its size and region. I find it impressive. I remember seeing a list where HPU was ranked #1 in its size class in the region. I think they may have done this two years in a row? I'm posting a lot of this from memory, in a hurry... as I prepare to walk out the door, so I don't have the time to look-up who ranked them or double check everything. He does seem to take the lead on much of what is happening in High Point and he makes it happen. He expands the university with focus on what will lift-up High Point. I think he deserves the accolades High Point and the Greater Triad Region give him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:21 pm 

Fourth and Main wrote:
He took a university that was off many people's radar and seemed to be fading-away and made it a dream campus. It's designed around what today's students want (what attracts them to a campus). He also focused on those life skills. He brought-in the money to secure their future and expand. This small campus and himself became leaders in downtown High Point's transformation. And High Point University is now growing and appearing on lists of top colleges in its size and region. I find it impressive. I remember seeing a list where HPU was ranked #1 in its size class in the region. I think they may have done this two years in a row? I'm posting a lot of this from memory, in a hurry... as I prepare to walk out the door, so I don't have the time to look-up who ranked them or double check everything. He does seem to take the lead on much of what is happening there and he makes it happen. He expands the university with focus on what will lift-up High Point. I think he deserves the accolades High Point and the Greater Triad Region give him.

Life skills is a great marketing talking point, it's literally the tagline of the school. However, it's not happening in real life.

Using USNews as the source, as that's the one they like to toe the most:

I mean, sure, they're #1 "region ranking" competing with Ouachita Baptist University, Maryville College, University of the Ozarks....

They rank first in "most innovative" when facilities plays a major part of the ranking and that's all they spend money on.

Forgive me if I don't get impressed with the President of the only University in High Point getting involved with town leadership. Also took a lot of political power to make the moves that he needed for the land he needed, so let's not act like it's not for nothing.

I'm also not sure what "expanding the university with a focus on what will life up High Point" actually means. The students aren't from the area nor do they stay in the area after graduating.

He's done a fantastic job at building a pretty little insulated bubble and wrapping it in flowery marketing talking points.

Last edited by Deacfan on Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:24 pm 

You might get tired of hearing me say this, but I'll say it again. What is good for Greensboro and HP is ultimately good for Winston. Charlotte's growth didn't leave Concord or Mooresville behind - it triggered their own development. Durham hasn't grown at the expense of Raleigh - they have grown together.

Wherever the Triad goes in the future, it will likely go together as a region. If High Point can become more desirable and grow its talent base, Winston will benefit from being the bigger city 20 miles down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:07 pm 

Quote:
What is good for Greensboro and HP is ultimately good for Winston.
Possibly, maybe even probably but always in a lesser degree, which keeps W-S slipping further and further behind. While so-called “triadism” is a desirable goal, the eastern “partner” does not play fair (there’s that word again). So, while not “downing” so-called “triadism” and even promoting it, W-S must have some initiative of its own and let the eastern component benefit from some W-S wins. What is fair (there’s that word again) for the so-called triad would be more of what’s good for W-S is also good for Greensboro and High Point.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:57 pm 

WSBornNBred wrote:
Durham hasn't grown at the expense of Raleigh - they have grown together.

The key factor to keep in mind is that the vast majority of RTP is in Durham County, oftentimes with major employers within the park no more than 10/15 minutes from Downtown Durham. It was the close proximity to the tremendous economic engine that is RTP that has enabled Durham to reap their fair share of the Triangle's economic success.

PTI Airport has been the best economic generator for the Triad region for over 20 years starting with the siting of the FEDEX hub (although that benefit took a heck of long time to pan out) and its location adjacent to GSO/HP. It's location is further removed from Winston proper and in my view any new business that has been drawn into the Triad by the airport has almost exclusively been at GSO/HP's benefit. The somewhat sluggish economic growth that has characterized this region over the few decades will have us in Winston waiting a hell of a long time in order to feel any effect from that "rising tide lifts all ships" perspective that good news for those eastern neighbors spill over to us. It's incumbent for us to chart our own course and begin to utilize Smith Reynolds to its fullest potential. Although I'm not optimistic in the least regarding air flights, but as a site for advanced avionics businesses is where the emphasis should be.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:58 pm 

Agreed - good analysis and very well said!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:56 pm 

Zalo, I agree! If what we've experienced thus far is "regionalism" then I don't think we can tolerate much more. I would much rather see the benefits flowing "from west to east" rather than "east to west". Just sayin!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:32 pm 

From HP Enterprise, but behind paywall. Anyone familiar with project?

Congdon Yards leaders said Thursday that a hotel that will be built at the downtown High Point campus will be a SpringHill Suites by Marriott.

The 128-room project will break ground in the third quarter of this year at 401 W. English Road and is being developed by Benchmade Ventures out of the Charlotte area, said Patrick Chapin, president and CEO of Business High Point-Chamber of Commerce, which operates Congdon Yards.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:18 pm 

Quote:
The 183,000-square-foot structure at 135 S. Main St. will undergo a $17 million renovation into 131 luxury hotel rooms and 65 apartment homes, according to Simon Burgess, who is leading the redevelopment project, which doesn’t yet have a name.

“Combining the hotel with corporate residential living is something new to the Triad,” said Burgess, managing director of Mayfair Street Partners, a development firm in Winston-Salem. “We are truly unlocking something special by giving guests and residents a tangible and livable experience with international brands, unique interior design and superior craftsmanship — traditionally only seen within the pages of magazines and catalogs.”

Mayfair....oof.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:04 pm 

Spangenberg wrote:
Quote:
The 183,000-square-foot structure at 135 S. Main St. will undergo a $17 million renovation into 131 luxury hotel rooms and 65 apartment homes, according to Simon Burgess, who is leading the redevelopment project, which doesn’t yet have a name.

“Combining the hotel with corporate residential living is something new to the Triad,” said Burgess, managing director of Mayfair Street Partners, a development firm in Winston-Salem. “We are truly unlocking something special by giving guests and residents a tangible and livable experience with international brands, unique interior design and superior craftsmanship — traditionally only seen within the pages of magazines and catalogs.”

Mayfair....oof.

It's an interesting building but they will have the same problem that forced any development activity outside the downtown core - the property is completely surrounded by showroom space that doesn't have significant activity except for a couple of two week periods a year. Anyone living in those units will have a hike to get to any retail services, which kind of defeats the purpose of living in a downtown environment. Hotel will be packed a couple times a year though.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:18 pm 

Nido Qubein is a fund raising machine. From today's TBJ: "High Point University will use a recently received $32 million gift to build its new School of Dental Medicine, expected to enroll its first class in the fall of 2023. The Rick and Angie Workman Foundation donated the $32 million for the dentistry to school, to be named the Workman School of Dental Medicine." https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/ ... chool.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6