WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: City Rivalries
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:17 am 

Lest the good citizens of WSTB believe that civic rivalries onlybegin and end at the Forsyth/Guilford County line, please review the smack coming from my old hometown of Big D. :tv:

http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/20 ... udes.html/

Post subject: Re: City Rivalries
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:37 pm 

Found this on a Raleigh based blog called GogoRaleigh.com. This guy seems as full of himself as GBoi :roll:

Growing up in Raleigh I’ve had several occasions to do things in Greensboro, especially in the Coliseum area. During my lifetime Greensboro seemed to get all of the great concerts, got great stores before Raleigh, and got to host the ACC Tournament. For many, many years there were real reasons to not only visit Greensboro, but to live there over Raleigh.

Greensboro was a thriving mill town in the first half of last century, which led to the prolific growth of gorgeous classic neighborhoods. Hayes Barton is the bastard child of Irving Park in that regard, but even in the middle income areas there is a prodigious number of houses that were built before Suburbia kicked in. In that era Greensboro invested smartly in their road system, implementing many Wade Avenue type arteries around the older parts of the city. Around Greensboro’s city streets, traffic problems really only exist out in the Suburbian Battleground Avenue, a US1 North-esque sole artery north out of the city. When I-85 was planned, it was a no-brainer to include Durham and Greensboro, as they were thriving, productive cities, unlike Raleigh, the sleepy government town. As Raleigh quickly grew through the 70s and 80s, the two cities were relatively the same size and seemed to have a remarkable number of similarities.

We went to Greensboro for the Friday evening session of the ACC Tournament. Knowing that the Coliseum food is expensive and terrible, we opted to stop at a gas station for beer and stop at a downtown restaurant for take out before tailgating before the game.

While driving around downtown on a beautiful Friday afternoon we got to see downtown Greensboro at its most vibrant. “Dull” probably exaggerates the experience. I was stunned by the comparative lack of interesting restaurants, the lack of downtown bars, and the overall lack of people. There is definitely a vibe in downtown Raleigh, and there is definitely no vibe in Greensboro. This was the first time that it really struck me how much further along downtown Raleigh’s vitality is than Greensboro’s. The number of young people making something to do, creating a sense of place, and moving the city forward is just, scant. The difference is quite palpable.

The point isn’t to beat Raleigh’s chest and flame Greensboro at all. Rather, it struck me on this trip; where is Greensboro headed? Ultimately the I-85 spine will keep all of the cities on the string in fabulous shape. Asheville and Wilmington will exist as creative outposts, and the rest of the state will become severely depressed. I like to call the string of cities the “Carolina Crescent”. Charlotte, Greensboro, Durham, and Raleigh will be linked by better and better rail service, and the spine will be a magnet for all important growth moving forward. Much like our current thinking of the Triangle, the crescent will eventually be thought of as a “macrometro” as transportation improves.

So Greensboro has that going for it. The tech and information job push that is filling Raleigh’s sails currently will continue for a good while, but we have to be prepared for another wave; a wave that could change the economics of the city as much as the exodus of the textile industry changed Greensboro and Burlington.

The Triangle is the educational and technological center of the state. It has a strong Liberal voice with a strong interest in environment and humanism. Charlotte will continue to be the strongest financial center in the state, and seems to be the Conservative core of the state. What identity will Greensboro develop? Will industries polarize their presence in North Carolina to Charlotte and/or Raleigh and skip Greensboro even more than ever? It’s looking that way, and the lack of an interesting market sector to ages 25 to 35 has to be the deepest concern for Greensboro in the next 50 years. Much like Richmond, Greensboro stands as a city of yesterday, with no ascertainable uniqueness to tomorrow’s economy. Its future is seemingly more loaded with questions than with answers.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:52 pm 

Is he lying? :runaway:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:25 am 

Don't think he's lying, he's just expressing an opinion.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:49 pm 

zalo wrote:
. . . the lack of an interesting market sector to ages 25 to 35 has to be the deepest concern for Greensboro in the next 50 years. Much like Richmond, Greensboro stands as a city of yesterday, with no ascertainable uniqueness to tomorrow’s economy. Its future is seemingly more loaded with questions than with answers.

An opinion which bears repeating.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:57 pm 

I'd love to find a way to forward this article to his Gdweebness :P Hmm, maybe on U.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:15 pm 

FROM WTVD-CHANNEL 11: The man behind a controversial Cary and Durham t-shirt is trying to do some good, but he can't. Designer Gabriel Eng-Goetz designed the novelty tee that reads: "I'd rather be shot in Durham than die of boredom in Cary.' Now Eng-Goetz wants to make a donation from the shirt's sales to a nonprofit organization, but he is having trouble finding one willing to be linked to the shirt. The Durham native wanted to donate 20 percent of sales to the North Carolina Victims Assistance Network, to show he and his company are contributing members of the community. He said the company did not want to accept the donation.

"It wasn't so much to appease those offended. It was just more of my way of giving back to the community. I'm born and raised in Durham. I love the city, so anyway I can give back, I'm going to," Eng-Goetz said. The designer said so far three nonprofits have shot him down.

"I thought it was pretty wild too. You know, I'm trying to give you free money and help a good cause. But you know this day and age, with people so politically sensitive, people trying to be politically correct, I can understand. The smallest thing can set off a hail storm," Eng-Goetz said. He said he is trying to reach an agreement with other organizations.

Meanwhile, Eng-Goetz is also having a hard time finding stores willing to sell the shirt. There's only one place in the Triangle that has agreed to sell it. Board Paradise in Durham received some samples Wednesday night. "We have people putting them on hold so there's a big demand for them already," Board Paradise owner Matt Kelly said. The shirt is also on presale order and over 100 shirts have been sold.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:15 pm 

The sentiment of the message on the shirt seems consistent with statistical reality. I fail to see the controversy.

IT's no different than "I'd rather be panhandled at Parkway Plaza than ripped-off at Thruway". I'm sure we could all come up with our own variants . . . . I suspect we will . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 pm 

I'm with you Possum. What's the big deal? Here's a link to the original story. The "clutch the pearls" responses in the article are pretty amusing. :lol:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?secti ... id=9154410

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:04 am 

Here's a self deprecating post from the Dallas Observer regarding Dallas bridges versus Ft Worth bridges... I like how the Dallas based writer can tweek his own city. Let us hope the Creative Coalition can take inspiration from how to handle this B-40 bridge project and not go overboard.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairp ... nature.php

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:52 pm 

No contest here . . . W-S didn't even make the list:

http://totalfratmove.com/new-study-find ... n-america/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:35 pm 

The Possum wrote:
No contest here . . . W-S didn't even make the list:

http://totalfratmove.com/new-study-find ... n-america/

We are probably anonymously included as part of "Greensboro". :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:53 pm 

TarheelJ wrote:

LOL Come to think of it, you are probably right.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:47 pm 

TarheelJ wrote:

That would be enough to make anyone drink excessively. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:28 am 

Get a load of this:

Gboi has posted something on the forum for citi data about someones vision for the downtown area of the city to the east. All of a sudden, there are 'themes' of Freedom, Motion, Innovation (yep, that's right!), and Tradition envisioned for the boro. LOL

http://www.katalystinc.com/index.php/pr ... ity%20Plan

Is there another identity crisis going on here, or is someone only stealing the idea of the four statues on the square here in Charlotte dedicated to Commerce, Transportation, and so on? I don't believe there is anything about the boro that is original, substantial, of historical interest (outside Blandwood House), or of remote interest to an outsider.