WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ASHEVILLE
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:38 pm 

Downtown Asheville bottomed-out around 1985, when an Atlanta developer saw potential and bought his first building for restoration. I can't remember his name, but he moved his entire family to Asheville and really started the revitalization. We were very close to losing all of those historic buildings around 1980, when a mall was proposed for downtown. Thankfully, enough people fought the mall proposal to stop it. I remember watching some of the revitalization as a kid. It was still happening when I was in High School and really reached its peak around the time I moved to Atlanta. Today, I'm watching as the same thing is happening in Winston-Salem. I can even place Winston-Salem in Asheville's timeline. If I remember correctly, the Grove Arcade was taken-over during World War II and converted into an office building. This is why the storefronts are bricked-over. It was expected to be temporary, if I remember correctly, but lasted for decades. And for decades, locals wanted the arcade reopened as an arcade again. It was a big victory when it reopened as an arcade.

Growing-up there, I was very anti-chain... until I learned of the benefits chain stores/restaurants can bring to downtowns. In recent years though, downtown Asheville has changed. These days, ugly reclads, questionable designs, chain stores, and styrofoam buildings are becoming more common.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:09 am 

Hotel torn down for parking garage:

https://mountainx.com/opinion/the-gospe ... ell-hotel/

Same parking garage torn down for hotel 48 years later:

http://ashvegas.com/asheville-downtown- ... y-mckibbon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:20 pm 

zalo wrote:
It' official. Anthropologie is coming to DTAVL. Hope that they will next look about 100 miles east :runaway:

http://ashvegas.com/anthropologie-signs ... top-chains

I know there are differing opinions on the worthiness of chain stores downtown. I hope that there is always a strong local ownership component to DT retail, but I have to say, if we could snare the outlets of the UO brands I really think it would be another game changing event for DTWS.

Word on the street is that Urban Outfitters Inc. had boots on the ground around Asheville recently as company reps scouted for possible locations for their Free People store/brand.

http://ashvegas.com/word-on-the-street- ... tail-store

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:43 am 

Have you thought about asking DWSP/Jason Thiel about contacting Urban Outfitters and convincing them to open in downtown Winston-Salem? I seem to remember this is how Winston-Salem was selected for a Mast General Store location. I think a local architect liked the store and worked with Thiel/DWSP to bring a location to downtown Winston-Salem. I also read this is how Spokane, Washington brought Urban Outfitters to their downtown.

http://www.inlander.com/spokane/game-ov ... id=2426516
Islander wrote:
Getting to this point required careful negotiations with Urban Outfitters, which were led by Downtown Spokane Partnership, and sources were mum about the identity of the company until it was officially announced.

Everyone on the forum who wants to see an Urban Outfitters downtown should contact DWSP/Jason Thiel and ask them to talk with Urban Outfitters about opening a location downtown. You can contact DWSP/Thiel through email, phone, or visit DWSP's offices. I've talked with him before and he is very friendly and open to ideas: http://www.downtownws.com/contact-us With Mast General Store, a thriving innovation district, maybe a grocery store at the ballpark, and a Kimpton Hotel, I think they would strongly consider a location on Liberty Street, Trade Street, Green Street (Brookstown District), or West Fourth?

Contact DWSP and ask them to talk with Urban Outfitters about downtown Winston-Salem locations: http://www.downtownws.com/contact-us

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:36 am 

DWSP has been involved in the contacting/recruitment of businesses to DT in the past. Not sure how much consistency/follow up goes on with that effort. Can't hurt to contact the organization and make sure that effort is continuing. Interesting to peruse the local independent weekly from Spokane that F&M linked. Looks like lots of great things happening up there. Although the city/metro is larger than locally, it interesting to read about efforts that are similar to ours regarding the rejuvenation of the City. Its also enlightening to view the comments section to ascertain that a full spectrum of opinions swirl around each topic, much like here on WSTB.

I will say that Spokane has a huge leg up on a lot of downtowns in that they have a major shopping mall with two department stores (Macy's & Nordstrom's) operating in their downtown. The Inlander article indicated that it took the mall operators over 4 years to convince Anthopologie to come to the mall. Which most likely greased the wheels to have UO follow so very soon afterward. Hopefully, the success of Mast will be the canary in the coal mine to convince other retailers the viability of downtown. I mentioned earlier that if DTWS could secure both these divisions of UO along with Mast that would absolutely put Camel City on another level.

http://www.riverparksquare.com/listings/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:59 am 

I don't know, but it seems the city population is slightly less than W-S but the county is about 100k larger than Forsyth although the W-S metro is listed with about 100k more than Spokane, but hey it has a river runnin' through it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:34 am 

yadkinv wrote:
I don't know, but it seems the city population is slightly less than W-S but the county is about 100k larger than Forsyth although the W-S metro is listed with about 100k more than Spokane, but hey it has a river runnin' through it.

Actually, I made a wrong assumption regarding the size of the area. :oops: I have been up there once a few years ago. It appeared to be larger than it apparently is. It helps Spokane that it is the only city of any appreciable size on that entire side of the state.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:41 pm 

Urban Outfitters would likely view downtown Winston-Salem as part of a market of 1.6 million people. It's one of the largest markets they don't have a store in. This would be similar to the Raleigh-Durham area, where just one location in Durham serves the entire multi-city CSA. The opening of the Wake Forest medical school, new Salem College downtown student housing, and maybe Virginia Tech bringing students downtown and "possibly" building dorms, also makes downtown Winston-Salem more attractive. This is in addition to the reports of 2,000 students downtown, from WFIQ. Just the Wake Forest University name alone likely carries a large amount of sway in attracting UO. I think downtown will be there in 2016. I would work on the pitch and make it now. This store would likely open at a great time next year, in a downtown that looks and feels different from the downtown of today. Yes, I really do believe the "60-Series" project will be very transformational. Just imagine what it will be like to have not just apartments, but an upscale hotel with a high-end restaurant and bar in the Reynolds Building. It would be even easier to talk them into downtown Winston-Salem, if the power plant project was under construction or built. I would still use it in the pitch to bring them here.

The reason you don't see too many Urban Outfitters Stores is due to the stores not doing as well as they once did. They still expand, but they don't open many new locations. These days, it appears as if Anthropologie and Free People are where they make their money. Lauren is a big fan of Free People clothing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:26 pm 

A new look for a repurposed BB&T Tower in downtown Asheville. The building will be converted into 133 hotel rooms, 41 condominiums and retail space.

https://mountainx.com/blogwire/mckibbon ... -building/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:55 pm 

Certainly a big improvement over its current appearance!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:23 pm 

So, is BB&T building another building, moving elsewhere, or what?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:33 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
So, is BB&T building another building, moving elsewhere, or what?

The new BB&T building in downtown Asheville:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:10 pm 

Oh well . . . one step forward, another back.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:40 pm 

Asheville - Western NC in 1942 . . .

[youtube]pwTygG78ka4[/youtube]