WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HIGH POINT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:29 am 

It would be nice to think ole Qubein has been chatting it up with Tomlinson regarding possibilities in the IQ. But funny how he specifically mentioned GSO College and City of Greensboro but only vaguely mentions "outside the city of GSO" One would think that some type of conversation with an academic medical center with a strong research component, would merit some serious chatting. That is if there is any serious consideration being given to possibly move this out of HPT.

Although HPT better be careful, GSO will break out old Joe Bryan's checkbook with some "make it rain money" :hyper:

http://www.hpe.com/news/x2082474645/HPU ... tside-city

Post subject: Re: HIGH POINT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:49 am 

The article and comments allude to the idea that Qubein would not want to split up HPU's campus into two different components. Having the Pharmacy school located in another city would effectively cast it as a separate entity that is only related to HPU in name only.

While I'd think to imagine that HPU would build a 10+ story Pharmacy school in the IQ, I think the likely outcome of this is that High Point has to pony up some serious incentives to get the school.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:11 am 

I was thinking the same thing - the IQ would be perfect, but this is probably so HP will pony-up more money. There's no way to tell if mentioning Greensboro College is legit or just GBJ reporting ways.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:18 am 

Wow, is he doing what big corporations do? Give me incentives (tax money), or I'll move this division out of the city. I don't think I've ever seen a tax exempt university do that? I've heard he's raised a large amount of money, but the TBJ questioned in the past if the university may have over spent on expansions and renovations.

One missing major for the IQ District is engineering. Wake Forest should start an engineering program downtown or talk someone into starting one there. Having engineering, Computer Science, and a Medical School would dramatically transform the IQ District.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:21 pm 

Wake should have added engineering in their last expansion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:08 am 

Wake Forest University can take advantage of Republican state budgets (reduced education spending, since they think most who graduate from college become Democrats) and make an offer to buy a quality engineering school from a respected state university. This is a very important investment in the future of both the IQ District and Winston-Salem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:39 am 

Which one do you think is cheaper? NC State's or NC A&T's? :huh:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:22 am 

It doesn't have to be from North Carolina. It can be from anywhere. The already established schools/departments they bought in the past ten years are from other states. Buying an established engineering school would complete the IQ District, while also reducing start-up problems. It will also likely add to the university's own bottom line, as seen with the past two purchases. Also, engineering is an in demand career many young students want to major in. It can also produce some very well paid alumni to give back to the university. I think they should travel around the "red states" and see who has made the most extreme cuts to their state universities and look for some engineering talent to bring to Winston-Salem. From what I seem to remember from the past purchases, they pay the entire department (in this case it would be a lead professor and his staff from an engineering school) to relocate, along with their projects they are working on and, in some cases, any start-ups they have started. This gives the IQ District a headstart really. It's as if Wake Forest already had this school/department a decade or more ago. Though it's new, it's also an established engineering school. Everyone is experienced and proven and they also already have ideas they are working on and/or companies relocated to the research park. The state university in another state you bought the talent and ideas from complains about budget cuts hurting pay and research money and they have to fill the positions at that school/department. I seem to remember a university in Arizona was interested in buying talent from UNC Chapel Hill, during extreme budget cuts?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:17 am 

Your fuller explanation sounds plausible as initially it seemed unattainable in that how could Wake afford or perhaps more importantly, what state university would allow (even with Neanderthal Republicans in charge) the defection of a department such as that. But indeed that scenario is how Wake started the Nanotechnology program with David Carroll & Company coming from Clemson and Anthony Atala & his group coming from Harvard. I would very much like to see Wake move forward with a commitment towards a full engineering school, but I really don't get a sense that there is much consideration being given. Same with a Pharmacy School. Several years back, I was at a Chamber Tech Council meeting regarding the future of the then PTRP and what new programs could be expected , and I asked about the possibility of a Pharmacy School which seemed to be a natural fit with an academic medical center and the response back was that there were no plans at all to develop such a program. And just like with the pharmacy program, if there has been no public indications regarding engineering coming from inside the university, it's my belief that it will not happen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:34 am 

Wake Forest already has an engineering program, which it shares with Virginia Tech. But it isn't a fully-fledged, independent program:

http://physics.wfu.edu/engineering/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:09 pm 

There is a deeper involvement in engineering at Wake than I previously thought. It's interesting as to how they go about providing Demon Deacons the opportunity to pursue engineering. Most interesting is the collaboration with Vanderbilt. These are the programs that I wish for WFU.

The engineering degrees offered by Vanderbilt University are:
•Biomedical Engineering
•Chemical Engineering
•Civil Engineering
•Computer Engineering
•Electrical Engineering
•Mechanical Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:32 pm 

They are partnering with others (and likely have to share money from any research too), which clearly shows a need. If it's something you don't think you need, you don't partner with two other universities for it. You only do that if it's a great need and you don't have the people at your university to fill that need. Right now, careers in math and science are the future. This is where job seeking college students are looking. Instead of being so dependent on others, they really should start work on having their own. A pharmacy school is nice, but I don't think it offers much in technology transfer and I think I heard there are now too many people with those degrees and hospitals are cutting back, as healthcare in this country is changing. It's really not a big deal to have a pharmacy school. Engineering is a constant need, across many employment and research fields. The type of jobs this city wants, includes engineers. The greatest centers of research and technology have engineering schools. Engineering produces ideas that can be licensed for profit and places the university in headlines as a research and technology center. You want as many engineering students in your city as possible, since it increases the chances a few of them will stay. We recently spoke about BE Aerospace. They would love to have engineering students right here in Winston-Salem to recruit! It's hard to be an innovation center, when none of your local colleges/universities have an engineering program. Engineering could attract more tech jobs to this city and start a several of their own. It's important to have these respected engineers, their spinout tech companies, and their students in your city and not in surrounding states. It's Winston-Salem's disadvantage with it's big three neighbors to the east and it's large neighbor to the south. If Wake isn't interested in engineering, WSSU or Salem College should strongly consider it. WSSU could become a major part of the IQ District with an engineering school. However, WSSU would have to build from the ground up and likely wouldn't have the money to attract the best out there. It could be a decade before anything worth talking about comes from a new UNC engineering school in Winston-Salem and it may have high levels of turn-over in the UNC system. With Salem College seeing large increases in students seeking majors in science and math related fields, they could start an engineering school, several years from now, when they expand into half of the South District? I don't know if they have the money Wake has to attract the best and they may have a slow building process as well? Also, they may decide not to start an engineering school until their campus expansion is underway and that could be years away from now. Wake Forest can bring some of the best engineers in the country to this city, with great ideas/companies on day 1. With Wake's investment, it could become a nationally ranked engineering school that would have a dramatic impact on this city and the IQ District.

It's likely a big department they would have to build and equally a big investment, but it is worth it. When Wake has bought research teams, they often looked for underpaid, overlooked, and underfunded, with amazing ideas/research.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:06 pm 

zalo wrote:
It would be nice to think ole Qubein has been chatting it up with Tomlinson regarding possibilities in the IQ. But funny how he specifically mentioned GSO College and City of Greensboro but only vaguely mentions "outside the city of GSO" One would think that some type of conversation with an academic medical center with a strong research component, would merit some serious chatting. That is if there is any serious consideration being given to possibly move this out of HPT.

Although HPT better be careful, GSO will break out old Joe Bryan's checkbook with some "make it rain money" :hyper:

http://www.hpe.com/news/x2082474645/HPU ... tside-city

Here's a Doug Clark blog post on HPU:

High Point University has considered locating its planned pharmacy and health sciences schools on Greensboro College's campus, the High Point Enterprise reports today. The university also has had discussions with "other parties in Greensboro," President Nido Qubein said. Original plans for the $100 million development would put it on or near the High Point campus. But the university wants the city to make infrastructure improvements to help. The City Council agreed in principle Monday, a move that will weigh heavily in High Point's favor, Qubein told the Enterprise. Qubein also said he wants to build the schools in High Point. I believe him and think that's what will happen.

It's a tight squeeze on the current campus unless the project were developed at High Point Mall, most of which belongs to the university. But the location of infrastructure improvements requested indicates a site on the northwest portion of campus. Of course, locating the schools at Greensboro College would be a potential lifesaver for that financially strapped institution, which shares Methodist roots with HPU.

Pharmacy/health sciences schools would fit nicely into a planned downtown university center, too. UNCG's proposal to add a pharmacy school was killed off by the UNC system a few years ago, but it made a lot of sense for Greensboro -- particularly the prospect of developing nanopharmacology programs with the Joint School. High Point University could fill the gap and find Greensboro a more stimulating environment with so many opportunities for collaboration -- not only with the other universities but with Cone Health.

On the other hand, Qubein in a High Pointer through and through. The university is an economic engine for the city and it would hurt if he planted the new schools somewhere else. Of course he had an obligation to consider alternatives, but I would bet on High Point. I have a call in to Qubein and will look into this further as time permits on an otherwise very busy day.

Update, 5:40 p.m.: I have spoken with Qubein, who confirmed he's talked with people in Greensboro who approached him about locating facilities here. He hasn't said no, but he indicated that's not likely to happen. HPU's commitment to growing in High Point is very strong.
Ed Kitchen of the Joseph M. Bryan Foundation told me that he and Tim Rice of Cone Health met with Qubein in High Point Wednesday, but the subject was NOT about locating HPU's planned pharmacy school in Greensboro. Rather, they were talking about developing a cooperative working arrangement between the HPU school and the planned Greensboro university center, which will have a health education focus. The timing of their discussion was purely coincidental, Kitchen said.

Purely coincidental, yeah & I've got a bridge in FL I would love to sell you. :roll: How many cooks does GSO need for this University Center kitchen?? There are plenty of participants with no need to go outside their city limits.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:18 pm 

zalo wrote:
It would be nice to think ole Qubein has been chatting it up with Tomlinson regarding possibilities in the IQ.

Actually, he was talking with the IQ District in downtown Winston-Salem for this Pharmacy School. I think the plans in Greensboro just received more publicity (they seek and love publicity) from their downtown leadership, while Winston-Salem's IQ District didn't seek the press for something that wasn't finalized. Here is an article today, where Qubein speaks on looking at downtown Winston-Salem. I would love to see HPU have a presence in the IQ District, even if it's just a small secondary presence.

The story is on the mall property and how they can't do anything with it until they own all of it. http://www.hpe.com/news/x1385731596/Mal ... -uncertain

hpe.com wrote:
“What happened is that, in the city of Greensboro, we were offered an opportunity to partner with someone and to have access to 40-plus acres of land,” he said. “Wake Forest University has a medical campus in downtown Winston-Salem, and they approached us and said, ‘We would love to welcome you.’ What would you do?”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:24 pm 

File under: Demolition By Neglect.

A major portion of the 104-year old Kilby Hotel on Washington Street has collapsed.

http://myfox8.com/2014/06/11/historic-k ... collapses/

This should come as a surprise to no one:

"Officials said that the only way to save the building is to stabilize its exterior walls." (2013)

http://www.hpe.com/news/local/x13506189 ... ilby-Hotel

Triad City Beat ran a piece about the historic building earlier this month:

http://triad-city-beat.com/high-point-j ... anguishes/

The First Baptist Church across the street is also collapsing and may be unsalvageable.