WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: CHARLOTTE
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:27 pm 

One day after Credit Karma announced a 600-job expansion in Charlotte, fintech company USAA, headquartered in San Antonio and ranked #94 on the Fortune 500 list, announced the establishment of a 750-job office in the city, taking up six floors in a tower in South End. The article does not mention what the average salary will be:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/n ... h-end.html

Another big win for the Queen City.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:28 pm 

From Bizjournal article: "Charlotte ranks among metros attracting the most tech workers" - "The region came in at No. 3 among metros with the highest net migration of tech workers between May 2020 and April 2021". Austin was number 1, Nashville was number 2 and Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill was No. 13. The survey was done by LinkedIn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 pm 

Where did W-S rank?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:45 am 

The article didn't list the Triad in their report. Here's the Link: https://economicgraph.linkedin.com/reso ... ember-2020 and https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -data-show

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:20 pm 

waggonera wrote:
The article didn't list the Triad in their report.

Why would it?
I can't recall the last time I heard of a tech company relocating or hiring here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:12 am 

Apologies - my poor attempt at humor. Of course I did not expect W-S to be listed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:31 am 

Wexford is starting talks with Charlotte to build Wake Forest's replacement for the Innovation Quarter "the engine of life science for North Carolina." It does suck that they are talking about tall buildings there and won't go above Winston-Salem's unofficial height limit of six floors at the Innovation Quarter. It should be interesting to see if it has Wake Forest in the name or reuses "Innovation Quarter," which really isn't a unique name. I found yet another city building an Innovation Quarter.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/n ... earch.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:07 pm 

That does beg the question as to if there are two significant projects that are moving forward in the short term (Eye Institute & the Translational Health Ctr.), why wouldn't the decision makers consider building one structure with some height for both entities?? The IQ doesn't have vast acreage in which to consume most of their usable land with low height suburban office park type structures. Again, seems like a missed opportunity to better maximize the density of the urban core of the District. And along that vein, while they're at it, they should go after the developers of the Sky House projects to provide the multi-family component for this new phase.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:42 pm 

Today's Charlotte Business Journal reports on the ongoing plans for an innovation district in Charlotte. Here's the money quote with regards to Winston-Salem's Innovation Quarter:

[Atrium CEO Gene] Woods said a key difference with this project is how it will connect the Charlotte district with the existing Innovation Quarter in Winston-Salem. The goal is to recruit complementary businesses that can work across both cities, he said. Winston-Salem's Innovation Quarter includes more than 3,600 workers, 90 companies and about 1,800 students. There are also apartments and green space.

Atrium is working with Wexford Science & Technology, a Baltimore real estate firm, to develop Charlotte's innovation district.

"We're really looking to connect both in a very tight way and a very integrated way and then use that to continue to work with other innovation districts here in North Carolina, so that we're not replicating. We're really enhancing North Carolina's reputation throughout the country as a place for innovation," Woods said.

Here's the link to the complete article: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/n ... dtown.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:24 am 

Atrium certainly has a vested interest in seeing Winston-Salem succeed at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:23 pm 

This was a good article and I found it very encouraging.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:48 pm 

Any ideas on how they will be connected in a “tight way?” That has to be in reference to transportation, right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:18 pm 

WSBornNBred wrote:
Any ideas on how they will be connected in a “tight way?” That has to be in reference to transportation, right?

I presumed it in reference to telecommunication, i.e., the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:39 pm 

I also think they may be referring to a single management structure for the "tight" link.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:33 pm 

Quote:
He said Atrium is in talks with multiple Fortune 100 companies to establish a presence in the new district.

What about the "old district" that is now clearly in the shadow of the new district? By the way, that 10-story building on record seems to have grown to about 20.

Quote:
He said the medical school and innovation district is expected to be one of the largest job creators in the state.

At the expense of W-S Innovation Quarter, which received a few bones.

Quote:
supporting more than 63,000 jobs, by 2040

They'll be saying Winston-Salem where? We're at Wake Forest, which is in Charlotte don't you know.

I do hope I be wrong but national coverage will be saying Wake Forest Medical School located in Charlotte. Winston-Salem (as usual) has been sold out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next