WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DURHAM
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:34 am 

The Possum wrote:
dtws wrote:
Music and technology festival Moogfest is leaving downtown Asheville for downtown Durham in 2016. In 2014, this event attracted over 25,000 attendees and more than 100 musical performances.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blo ... am-nc.html

That should have been a shoo-in for the "City of the . . .

Oh never mind.

I was thinking the same thing... :yesyes: Although the organizers are trolling for a good number of corporate sponsors to pick up the tab. There are quite a bit more "techie" operations near Durham/RTP that could be hit on for some cash. Here's recent news on the move.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/after- ... id=4574625

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:34 pm 

The Possum wrote:
dtws wrote:
Music and technology festival Moogfest is leaving downtown Asheville for downtown Durham in 2016. In 2014, this event attracted over 25,000 attendees and more than 100 musical performances.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blo ... am-nc.html

That should have been a shoo-in for the "City of the . . .

Oh never mind.

Why don't you lobby the city to change the nickname since you think it doesn't fit? Still making fun, I see. I don't care for your sarcastic comments about my city...I can't be the only one here.

I guess you think if we're the City of the Arts we should get everything that has anything to do with arts in NC? That's ridiculous - there is competition in the state from several great cities, and we have plenty going on here. Why don't you keep your nasty comments to yourself and post something more constructive?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:37 pm 

TarheelJ wrote:

Why don't you lobby the city to change the nickname since you think it doesn't fit? Still making fun, I see. I don't care for your sarcastic comments about my city...I can't be the only one here.

I guess you think if we're the City of the Arts we should get everything that has anything to do with arts in NC? That's ridiculous - there is competition in the state from several great cities, and we have plenty going on here. Why don't you keep your nasty comments to yourself and post something more constructive?

I'll remind you that it my city too and that I have been employed in the arts profession here for over 30 years.
I also happen to think that this city's slogan ( like most municipal slogans) is pretentious and inflated and, as a artist, feel particularly qualified to comment on it.

We are a city of many things . . . most of which pay a helluva lot more bills than art. Health care, not art. is our top employer. The arts aren't even in the top-ten. There are more bars than galleries Downtown. Why aren't we touted as "The City of Doctors and Booze"? Why single out my profession for marketing purposes? Most of us have to take service industry jobs to get by here anyway.

Look, if you do not care for my commentary, by all means feel free to skip over it. It's not required reading. If it's nothing but pollyanna flattery you desire, go read a Chamber of Commerce brochure instead. This is a forum, not a cheerleading squad and I'm going to call a spade a spade as I see fit.

Either way, I do not welcome personal attacks. You can disagree without being disagreeable. My remarks were not directed at YOU. Sorry if you choose to take offense, but I am not responsible for your feelings. We have plenty of doctors and booze to take care of those.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:03 pm 

Durham's new hotel in the Hill Bldg. is in the running for best hotels in America. Let's help our Bull City Brethren out & vote. The second link is to the Triangle Business Journal with the article. There's also a link which shows photos of the hotel. Good looking property!!

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/bes ... urham-n-c/

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/mor ... t-new.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:29 pm 

The Bull City envy East of Colfax will be heating up with this little tidbit. :coolest: I gotta say #3 Kalamazoo surprised me.

Durham is among the "Top Ten Cities for Creatives," according to a new report by personal financial website SmartAsset. The rankings of 176 of the largest U.S. cities are based on cost of living and the concentration of creative workers in 28 professions including graphic designers, artists, entertainers, writers, architects and photographers. Jobs data comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics; cost of living data comes from the Council for Community and Economic Research.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/m ... ative.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:20 pm 

I liked this story about this entrepreneur who's doing something like the guys at Airtype with their branding of their hometown's nicknames. I think "Durm" & Winston are kindred spirits among NC cities.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/what-k ... lText=true

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:35 am 

My goodness, it looks like a case of the voodoo accounting that they're using for East of Colfax's P-formn' Artz Center pro formas. :popcorn:

Just weeks after Dan Berman was appointed interim CEO of the Carolina Theatre, he notified Durham’s city manager the historic venue was days away from shutting down. “Without an immediate injection of cash, the theater will have no choice but to shutter its doors next week,” Berman said in a Feb. 29 memo to City Manager Tom Bonfield. That never happened because the city and private investors stepped up to help the Carolina Theatre of Durham, the nonprofit that manages the historic building, address a cash-flow shortage tied to a $1.2 million debt. In March, the City Council met in a closed session and advised staff to move forward with giving the nonprofit up to $500,000, Bonfield said.

The money is on top of $100,000 the city had already provided to carry the theater through February and the $654,000 a year it pays the nonprofit to run the complex on Morgan Street. The money will help the Carolina Theatre address a surprise debt that board chairman Scott Harmon and the former CEO Bob Nocek blamed on faulty accounting.

The agreement, Bonfield said, calls for the city to give the money as a dollar for dollar match to money raised from other donors. So far the nonprofit has received $290,000 in city funding, which includes the $100,000 in February. The money came from the city’s fund balance. In exchange, the nonprofit must provide weekly information about its cash flow, income, expenses and each show’s financial performance. Other conditions include letting the city appoint three members of the nonprofit’s board. The nonprofit also has to obtain a theater consultant to advise the board rather than just relying on the executive director, Bonfield said. Bonfield is moving forward with the verbal agreement while city staff are finalizing an amendment to the management agreement that will have to be approved by the City Council in a public meeting.

As frustrated as city officials are about a situation that “should have never of happened,” the city still owns the theater, Bonfield said. “The continuation of the Carolina Theatre is really, really important,” Bonfield said. “That is at the forefront of all of this.” If the doors are locked, then downtown loses a public asset. Closing would also hurt ticket holders and Durham’s reputation. “There really wasn’t any good reason, other than to just be mad, to not be a partner in figuring this out,” Bonfield said.

By reaching out to major donors, the nonprofit has raised $300,000 in cash with another $100,000 in pledges, Berman said. It has until June 2017 to raise its share of the money, but Bonfield said city officials will be monitoring the weekly reports and will only disperse money if needed.

In December, Harmon and Nocek said the theater had run up a significant debt instead of the surpluses it had previously announced. In April 2015, it appeared, after years of losing money, that the nonprofit had a surplus of $37,639, when in reality it had a deficit of $627,746. Harmon and Nocek said they learned of the errors in May 2015 when the state put a levy on the organization’s bank account seeking unpaid sales taxes on ticket sales. The two linked the debt to faulty accounting and spending decisions based on financial figures reviewed by an outside auditing firm that didn’t reflect that organization’s actual position. Director of Finance Sam Spatafore has declined to comment. He was fired in May 2015 after management learned he had set up a payment plan with the N.C. Department of Revenue that he didn’t ultimately follow, said Aaron Bare, the theater’s former chief operating officer.

Nocek and Bare resigned in January. Nocek and Harmon have said they would have made many different decisions if they’d had accurate financial reports. Nocek said in an email that he is limited in what he may say publicly. Under Nocek, the theater had shifted the focus from renting the facility to the community to ramping up live shows, from about 60 to 100 per year. But the business model and 1,000-seat concert hall made it hard to make much money on those shows. A previous consultant report had expressed concern about the strategy.

The theater reported a record $5 million in revenue last fiscal year, but it was paying current expenses with future show revenue, digging itself deeper into the hole, according to Berman’s memo. Berman, a former Full Frame Documentary Film Festival board chair, helped the festival through financial challenges about 10 years ago. He’s volunteering his time.

Even if the theater’s initial budget figures were correct, the previous administration’s spending was excessive, he said. “They were spending on a champagne budget when we are a craft beer organization,” he said.

Bare said it easy to be critical in hindsight, but they were working to support and promote shows on what they thought was a budget with a surplus. Berman put an end to booking additional events unless the director of programming provided a high level of confidence the event would be profitable. The move left the Carolina without cash to cover expenses, such as payroll.

“As as I understood the scope of the problem, I reached out to the city immediately because I knew without city involvement there was no plan that could work,” Berman said. Berman’s plan for the theater includes doubling donations and focusing on the nonprofit aspect of the theater. It also includes fewer in-house produced events and an increased emphasis on rentals, which will reduce the nonprofit’s risk.

The changes allow the organization to focus on its role in the community, which includes providing the educational and arts programming. Berman said it’s more appropriate for the theater to lose money on programs such as the Dance Theatre of Harlem, which had an afternoon show for school children who paid $6 for tickets, than taking a risk on a national commercial act. “We are not here, in my opinion, to lose $15,000 on LeeAnn Rimes,” he said.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/ ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:38 pm 

I don't feel Durham has the demographics or population to support two major performance halls regardless of management and despite its position in the Piedmont crescent, having a Duke, or its slight advantage of being a high tech magnet in NC.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:07 pm 

Was in the Triangle last weekend, and stopped in Durham's downtown to check out the new high rise. I must say, Durham's skyline is getting ready to overtake the city to the east in height and overall prominence. And on the citydata forum, the boi has been going on for two solid years about the speculative Project 561 and how it will transform the skyline there, IF it ever gets built. He has apparently caught wind of the "chatter" in Winston-Salem of a new tower, and making accusations of how the rumored new skyscraper in Winston-Salem is reactionary to the speculation of a new tallest for the Triad (Project 561). :uh:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:40 pm 

What others are saying . . . about Durham

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/southbo ... -carolina/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:03 am 

Demolition permits were pulled for one of the more interesting buildings in Durham. The 1972 Burroughs-Wellcome Building. It's time to look at architecture from this time period and find the examples worth preserving and work to save those examples, before they are demolished by the everything 70s Modernist or Brutalist is bad crowd. This building is worth preserving.

https://www.archpaper.com/2020/09/paul- ... emolition/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:36 am 

That building is awesome. It looks like EPCOT. With all the mid-century love we've seen over the course of the last decade or so, I'm surprised there isn't more of an uproar. It does feel like one that, if demolished, people in a few decades are going to mourn as a lost treasure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:35 pm 

OK, I'll be a dissenter on this matter, not necessarily that it should not be spared, but must indicate that type of architecture does not appeal to me (modern stuff). I reckon my architectural appreciation is more narrow and less developed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
OK, I'll be a dissenter on this matter, not necessarily that it should not be spared, but must indicate that type of architecture does not appeal to me (modern stuff). I reckon my architectural appreciation is more narrow and less developed.

I mean, it's not to my personal taste, per se. I wouldn't commission a building that looked like that. But looking back across history, countless interesting buildings have been demolished or plastered over because they had fallen out of fashion. I like architectural diversity, and that's why I think that building is interesting and worth saving.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:24 pm 

Google unveils major engineering hub planned for Durham; potential for 1,000+ jobs. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/busin ... 13204.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next