WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DURHAM
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:41 pm 

zalo wrote:
Hooterboro.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:24 pm 

The Possum wrote:
zalo wrote:
Hooterboro.

:lol:

HA HA, You know they have hay making capibility over east of that place, within the beltway, with all those cows roaming around beside I40/I85.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:35 pm 

Amanda Jones Hoyle
Staff Writer-Triangle Business Journal

Just a few blocks from the proposed Durham Innovation District site in downtown Durham, a group of developers are working on a similar plan targeting life science and technology companies to occupy and lease renovated spaces within the hulking, seven-story Chesterfield Building. Chesterfield, located at 701 W. Main St., is one of the last remaining undeveloped pieces of the former Liggett & Myers Tobacco Co. complex now known as West Village. But, because of its size with more than 300,000 square feet of space, the costs and the complexity that comes with being part of a registered historic district has repeatedly delayed its redevelopment.

In December, though, Baltimore-based Wexford Science and Technology, a real estate company that’s already hip-deep in the multi-million dollar redevelopment of the Wake Forest Innovation Quarter in Winston-Salem, purchased the Chesterfield Building in Durham for $7.5 million. Construction and demolition of the interior spaces began in April, and now developers for Wexford say all they are waiting on is final plan approval from the National Park Service to begin renovation.

The National Park Service manages the federal historic preservation tax incentives program jointly with the Internal Revenue Service, and Wexford could qualify for as much as a 20 percent investment tax credit for the rehabilitation of an eligible historic structure like the Chesterfield. Built in 1948, the Chesterfield is thought to be one of the last great downtown cigarette factories to be built by one of the major tobacco companies.

Wexford’s strategy is to fill one building at a time with life science and technology companies that want to cluster in an urban setting, says Dan Cramer, senior vice president of development for Wexford. “We are very sensitive to innovation, and we work hard to create spaces and programing to make it attractive to entrepreneurs and start-ups, whether it be for wet lab space or tech start-ups,” he says.

Wexford has also hired Durham developer Josh Parker to lead the company’s efforts in the Triangle, including the redevelopment of the Chesterfield. Parker was part of a team in 2010 that tried to buy the Chesterfield and convert the building into a mix of residential and office units, but Parker was never able to pull together enough capital to get the project off the ground. With Wexford, Parker says their primary focus will now be attracting the companies that can generate jobs for downtown Durham. “The more of us going after that, the more of us are going to be successful,” he says.

I hope that Winston will be able to generate some synergy with Durham in regards to recruitment efforts with the various tech/new economy companies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:46 am 

As I posted earlier, the IQ is really just a shuffle of workers and classes from one building in the city to another. Yes, they do expand in the IQ, but there aren't many new to the city employers there. This is really where the IQ needs to step-up their game. While I believe talking more employers already in the city into moving to the IQ is important to help make the IQ more attractive; I would like to see a stepped-up effort to attract a few big names. They need a sizable economic development (job recruitment) staff at the IQ that are employees of WFIQ and are not a part of WSBI. Completely independent and have a pay system that rewards them for attracting new to the city employers in research and technology fields! From what I've seen, downtown medical schools are game changers. So many of these innovation districts see employers move to them, because they want to be close to the universities and the medical school. I think they need to start on Building 60 as soon as possible! This is why I'm most excited about Building 60 right now. When I read about new developments in other innovation districts, the companies moving to them usually always bring up the universities and medical schools. It's also important to have the students in the IQ very involved in activities in the city. You want them out there having fun and building a connection (network) in Winston-Salem. You want them involved in what is happening here and also try to bring employers and these students together as much as possible. Another thing they need to work on is getting the word out. They need to show everyone the IQ exists and it's fast growing. Have cameras and regular updates on construction. Invite experts, like Christopher Wink or Bruce Katz, to speak in Winston-Salem and have them see the IQ exists, so it appears in their other speeches and in national articles.

The Triangle already has tech companies and that gives them an advantage. Winston-Salem is trying to offer an urban innovation district alternative to the suburban offerings in the Triangle. Seeing the Triangle trying to bring these companies into their downtowns is a reason for Winston-Salem to work harder on urbanity! Winston-Salem must keep the IQ urban and this means storefronts, density / going vertical with buildings, and a mix of uses. It means no parking lots and building above the parking decks. Using the parking decks as a podium for the building to rise above and have storefronts along the sidewalks! If Winston-Salem makes the IQ suburban, it will lose to the Triangle. I don't think we should concern ourselves with what others are really doing though. Just stay focused on building urban and improving on what we have. The IQ can stand-out by being a truly urban district, like University City and South Lake Union. Thanks to my wife being from Seattle, I've seen South Lake Union (SLU) and it has wide sidewalks, rail streetcars, apartments, bicycles everywhere, and storefronts. They have everything from local restaurants to chains to bank branches to a Tesla dealership on the ground floors of nearly every building! Nearly every building seems to have storefronts and it makes it a real place to be. Storefronts make SLU a great place for tech company workers and a great place to be after work! That is what we need to do. It would be unique to us in North Carolina and with a blank slate, nothing is impossible!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:26 am 

From a news release:

DURHAM – Duke will launch three projects to enhance Wallace Wade Stadium after this football season, athletics director Kevin White announced this morning.
The Duke Board of Trustees has approved design and granted construction authorization for the three initiatives, which are being funded privately. The three developments include a new tower to replace the Finch-Yeager Building on the west side of the stadium, a new video board and speaker arrangement to be located in the south end zone as well as concourse enhancements on the North and West Gates of the facility, which opened in 1929 as Duke Stadium and was renamed for Hall of Fame coach Wallace Wade in 1967.

“When completed in 2016, Duke’s football facilities will rank among the finest in college athletics – on a scale appropriate for the University," White said in a news release. "High-level sporting events create such tremendous opportunities to attract many members of the Duke family to campus. The premium amenities included in these state-of-the-art renovations will generate a first-rate experience for our alumni, friends, fans and most importantly, an optimal gameday atmosphere for our student-athletes.”

The new five-story, 90,000-plus-square-foot tower will include six concessions booths and restrooms on the main concourse level. The second floor contains a 300-plus seating dining room, exterior club accommodations and six luxury suites. The third level houses 15 additional luxury suites as well as the president's box. The fourth floor provides space for media, home and visiting coaches, broadcast and gameday operations with additional video filming space located on the roof. Duke will partner with Daktronics for the implementation of a new LED video board in the south end zone. The board's viewing surface will measure 42 feet high by 75.6 feet wide for 3,175 square feet – more than doubling that of the current video board – and display at a true 1080p high definition resolution.

Concourse enhancements also include guest services and first aid stations, truly integrated ADA and companion seating balconies, a new stair and elevator tower, new exposed black aggregate paving around the concourse, enriched lighting along the interior and exterior of the concourse, and nine new sections of blue seats, replacing existing bleachers. Additionally, the stadium’s current restroom count of 184 (110 women’s and 74 men’s) will be increased to a total of 495 (313 women’s and 182 men’s) when the project is completed before the 2016 football season.

Along with the lowering of the stadium's field level and installing a new Latitude 36 natural sod surface, which was approved by the Board of Trustees in the spring, these projects are scheduled to begin after the regular season ends with a home game against Wake Forest on Nov. 29.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:35 am 

INDY Week's news blog

Monday, September 29, 2014

100 more condos planned for downtown Durham

Posted by Lisa Sorg

501 Realty is working with a developer on a new condo project in downtown Durham, according to an email sent to businesses at American Underground at Main. The INDY offices are in the same building as AU at Main. The project will bring 100 new condos ranging from $230,000 to $900,000. The email asked workers for feedback about amenities, prices and other quality of life questions.

"Great live/work opportunity, and a great addition to downtown living opportunities," the email read, "as there aren't many condos currently available in Durham." Tammi Brooks of 501 Realty said the details, including the developer's name, would not be finalized for several weeks. As the INDY reported in August, almost all of the new developments—and there are many—are high-end. Eight condos are being built at Church and Main streets, ranging in price from $459,000 to $536,000. And 31 condos are planned for the City Center Tower at Main and Corcoran streets. Those condos run from $300,000 to $1.6 million. More than half of them are already reserved.

The news of the condo project comes at a time when safe, affordable housing, particularly near downtown, is scarce. The city, county and Triangle Transit, Coalition on Affordable Housing and Transit, Durham CAN and Durham Community Land Trustees have been hosting meetings to address the issue, which is only going to escalate as the light-rail project between Orange and Durham counties is built over the next decade.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:46 pm 

I apologize if this has been posted already. http://wunc.org/post/innovation-distric ... ace-durham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:33 pm 

Here's hoping we get something similar with Kimpton. I'm very happy with Kimpton but would have been equally pleased had 21c Musuem Hotels had made a run for it.

The new 21c Museum Hotel opening in downtown Durham in February is also going to have its own high style restaurant, and the hotel ownership group is bringing in one of its rising stars to helm the kitchen, executive chef Josh Munchel. The restaurant, called Counting House, will occupy a space once part of the Ellis Stone department store within the historic 17-story Hill Building, now turned hotel, at 111 N. Corcoran St.

Munchel will be coming to Counting House from 21c Museum Hotels' restaurant Metropole in Cincinnati, which he helped open in 2012. The restaurant was named one of Bon Abppetit's Best New Restaurants 2013. Munchel attended culinary school in nearby Louisville, Kentucky. "I am beyond excited to open Counting House in Durham," Munchel stated in a news release about the deal. "The community's close-knit food culture seems extremely collaborative. I can't wait to jump in and get involved." The restaurant's defining features will be its graduated ceiling heights that peak at 23 feet and an open kitchen floorplan displaying its large grill and spit roaster. Source: Triangle Bus. Journal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:57 pm 

Kimpton is also known for their award winning and nationally ranked restaurants and chefs and does plan to open something like this in Winston-Salem. It will be interesting to see what the name and theme of the restaurant and bar are? We may not know until next spring, at the earliest? 21c is an awesome hotel flag any city would want. However, after learning more about these hotels, I think Kimpton is the better of the two brands and we can see how their name is attracting developers to Winston-Salem. It can likely attract national retailers and other storefront tenants, when it opens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:41 am 

And I thought Winston was the City of Arts & Innovation in NC. :)

http://www.wral.com/luxury-hotel-in-dur ... /14518350/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:25 pm 

Interesting. Those controversial artists could have their subjects switched up, couldn't they? Obama could be Hitler with the autocratic attitude of a monarch/dictator, and Bush the villian for 'starting the wars'.

Winston-Salem needs to keep tooting the horn. There are unoriginal thieves all around. Here in Charlotte, one of Hugh McColl's pet projects, in what locals call the former burnt out church on North Tryon, is now call the "McColl Center for Art + Innovation". Imagine that? It has had his name attached for years since it was renovated, but only within the last year have I noticed the name change.

And 30 miles to the east: the copycat Gateway Research Park recently announced a venture to open a VF Corporation "innovation" center. Ideas are hardly patented quick enough these days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:24 pm 

Innovation was the latest fad word and PTRP jumped on it very early. You'll see it used everywhere. If you've searched for information on the Innovation Quarter, you've likely seen this:

http://www.innovationquarter.nl/english

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/y ... ea-8718949

http://www.cathedralgroup.com/current-p ... brighton-2

I wish Wake Forest wouldn't add "Innovation Quarter" to every page on their website. When I search for any news on the IQ, it brings up every article published by Wake Forest and 98% of them have nothing to do with the Innovation Quarter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:51 pm 

"My Name Is Durham" (c. 1949) . . . . includes some great shots of Downtown:

https://archive.org/details/MyNameIsDurham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:23 pm 

Music and technology festival Moogfest is leaving downtown Asheville for downtown Durham in 2016. In 2014, this event attracted over 25,000 attendees and more than 100 musical performances.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blo ... am-nc.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:37 pm 

dtws wrote:
Music and technology festival Moogfest is leaving downtown Asheville for downtown Durham in 2016. In 2014, this event attracted over 25,000 attendees and more than 100 musical performances.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blo ... am-nc.html

That should have been a shoo-in for the "City of the . . .

Oh never mind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next