WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DURHAM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:28 pm 

Good to see such original entrepreneurial energy succeeding in Winston's NC soul mate city... :coolest:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/09/28/ ... other.html

Post subject: Re: DURHAM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:05 pm 

Durham is such a comfortable city to me with lots of character. Its slowly rising in my NC city ranking. Durham > Raleigh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:35 pm 

A new Aloft hotel at the American Tobacco Campus in Durham has been given the green light to begin construction later this year. The 134-room, six-story hotel will be built adjacent to the Durham Performing Arts Center and next to the Durham Bulls Athletic Park at the intersection of Blackwell and Vivian Streets.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/new ... -open.html

This will be the second Aloft for the Triangle. The first was in Chapel Hill and there's talk of 2 more in Raleigh, one by NC State & the other in the Brier Creek area. If they are that active in finding sites, I hope they would consider Winston for a location in the Research Park. It would be a good fit on the parking lot on E. Fourth across from the Bailey Park. The theatre district could be a good site, but me thinks we are still a few years before that project begins to jell....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 pm 

I posted on this about two weeks ago. I've heard aLoft is aggressively looking in Winston-Salem. As I said then, aLoft is about the same as Hotel Indigo. I'm not sure if we can only have one of the two, but I'm hoping the city can support both. Past studies by Wake Forest have shown Winston-Salem can support at least 300 new rooms downtown (120-150 at the Reynolds Building and maybe 150 in a new building?). In the rumor, aLoft has no specific sites, but I'm guessing they could look at the Reynolds Building, Ballpark, Theatre District, or possibly the IQ District? I assume they are looking at the Reynolds Building, but have no proof of that and the person spreading the rumor said nothing of the Reynolds Building? I do hope someone builds new and the Theatre District developers do seem just as aggressive themselves. The parking deck with hotel/residential tower is really a must build first type of project, for the library, park, new theatre and to replace the Rhodes/Sawtooth Center parking lost due to the project. Hotels are in expansion mode right now and a hotel developer signing-on is a big step toward actually building the 15 storey highrise in the renderings.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75&start=30#p1847

This is just my opinion, but I really don't care much for Raleigh ("Sprawly" as some people from my generation would say). Durham really is the better of the two, in my opinion and Durham has worked hard to go vertical and be that region's "IT" city. I think my generation prefers older cities with character over the typical New South cities. I think this is why Winston-Salem is seeing a boom right now. Greensboro is the typical blah southern city, while Winston-Salem is that old city, with character. Of all the cities in the state, Winston-Salem is actually the state's leader in the old cities with character category, since it was the state's largest city back then. And yes, Winston-Salem's downtown is booming right now. three or four office buildings under construction, two hotels proposed, 1,200 residential units and growing, several local government projects, a streetcar about to enter the funding stage, several entertainment related projects on the boards, ...yes, Winston-Salem is booming. I would also like to add that a developer behind some of the projects in Durham (someone who has never proposed anything in Winston-Salem before) is also rumored to be looking downtown, so we have something interesting to possibly look forward to from our friends in Durham.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:52 pm 

I went on Aloft's website and they are definitely in a big expansion mode. I was taken aback at the number of international properties they have going in. I do wonder if they are considering whether to take on the Reynolds Tower? I noticed that they did a mid-century rehab for their Tulsa location. I would still prefer the Louisville outfit that is re-doing the old Suntrust (CCB) Bldg. in Durham and have Aloft build new construction somewhere downtown.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:41 am 

Here's an update on Downtown Durham hotels by the Durham CVB. Looks like over 300 rooms being developed in downtown proper between the 21c Museum-Hill Bldg, the small boutique property & the aloft projects.

Coming Soon to Stay in Durham!

Thinking about making a trip to Durham within the next year? So are thousands of other people! Increased visitor demand has prompted yet another hotel announcement for Downtown Durham. The most recent announcement was for a 134-room room Aloft. This announcement makes four new lodging properties expected to come online in and adjacent to Downtown Durham in 2014 and 2015.

Plan to stay at the 125-room 21c Museum Hotel in the Hill (formerly the SunTrust bank) building, a 54-room boutique hotel in the former Mutual Savings building on East Chapel Hill Street near the post office or at the 145-room Residence Inn in Trinity Park near Duke's East Campus.

Having enjoyed a fierce coming-of-age in recent years with dining and retail leading the charge, Downtown Durham is supported by major projects like the American Tobacco Campus, West Village, the Golden Belt Arts Complex, and the ever popular and evolving Brightleaf Square. Nearing its tenth anniversary, American Tobacco is critical on the downtown landscape with the Durham Bulls Athletic Park, and DPAC - Durham Performing Arts Center.

"There has been a huge deficit of downtown hotel rooms in Durham for more than a decade," said Shelly Green, the President and CEO of the Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau. That seems to be changing fast. There are an additional 10 hotels with more than 1,200 rooms under development or consideration in the pipeline.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:14 pm 

FROM THE TRIANGLE BUS. JOURNAL: With construction of the new Diamond View III office building now complete in downtown Durham, the building’s anchor tenant, the nonprofit FHI 360, officially opened its new headquarters there on Monday. FHI 360, previously known as Family Health International, is occupying more than half of the 130,000-square-foot Diamond View III building that’s adjacent to the Durham Bulls Athletic Park at the American Tobacco Campus.

The five-story building, developed by an affiliate of Raleigh-based Capitol Broadcasting Co., was built to LEED certification standards for “green” design, construction and operations. FHI 360 is moving about 400 employees from its long-time headquarters building on N.C. 54 in Durham to Diamond View III. A collection of new restaurants will also be opening in the Diamond View III building in 2014, including the ‘Que barbecue restaurant by pitmaster Ed Mitchell and Moe’s Southwest Grill.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:57 am 

Personally, I prefer the way that corner looked in '64:

http://www.opendurham.org/buildings/diamond-view-iii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:24 pm 

The main developer of Wake Forest Innovation Quarter is expanding its reach in North Carolina by spending $7.5 million to buy an historic building in downtown Durham. Wexford Science & Technology LLC is a real-estate investment company based in Baltimore that focuses on developments for universities, health care, science and technology. Wexford announce the deal Tuesday. The seven-story Chesterfield building, a former tobacco warehouse, is similar to the renovation projects that Wexford has tackled in downtown Winston-Salem. The Chesterfield building was once part of the Liggett & Myers Tobacco Co. complex in Durham, and many of the buildings in the Winston-Salem research park were once owned by R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. The Chesterfield building is expected to provide about 250,000 square feet of space once renovation is complete. A major enticement for Wexford to buy the Durham building is its proximity to the Triangle’s research universities.

http://www.journalnow.com/business/busi ... f6878.html

Next stop: Kannapolis' NC Research Campus??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:54 pm 

Greedsboro must be getting the vapors :alright:

Durham Performing Arts Center currently ranks fourth among top U.S. entertainment venues, despite ranking third just a few months ago.
Pollstar magazine, which ranked the venues, based the ranking on attendance. In 2013, DPAC featured 174 performances, which drew over 352,000 guests and saw 57 sellouts. The shows with the highest attendance were “How the Grinch Stole Christmas! – The Musical” and Disney’s “Mary Poppins.”

The top five theaters and their seating capacities:

1. Radio City Music Hall, New York, N.Y. – 6,015 capacity

2. The Colosseum At Caesars Palace – Las Vegas, Nev. – 4,300 capacity

3. Orpheum Theatre – Minneapolis, Minn. – 2,600 capacity

4. DPAC – Durham, N.C. – 2,712 capacity

5. Nokia Theatre L.A. Live – Los Angeles, Calif. – 7,100 capacity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:56 am 

Liberty Warehouse, Durham's last standing tobacco auction warehouse, barring the unexpected, will be gone by the end of spring. Chapel Hill-based builder East West Partners is preparing to build a 320,000-square-foot mixed-use complex on the edge of Durham Central Park. It is estimated to be complete by early 2016. At a community meeting last week, organizers of Preservation Durham—once the dilapidated building's last public defenders—all but read Liberty's eulogy. "Demolition of this building is, at this point, a reality," said Wendy Hillis, executive director of the group.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/demoli ... id=3814555

While it's a huge disappointment that this building could not be saved as a part of Durham's legacy, the flip side is that the replacement project looks really, really good. The type of materials being used in the project are ones that I wish would be used more in Winston mixed use construction.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:19 am 

From the looks of photos of that shackle of a facade, Durham won't be missing much.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:40 am 

Two perspectives on the recent awarding of the ACC Baseball tournaments to Durham. Sounds like Durham's bid swung for the fences and b*tch-slapped the 'boro.

“Durham put together a really attractive bid between their facility enhancements – $20 million in facility enhancements always looks good – and they also put together a significant media package to help us advertise and market,” said Pierce. “They were very clear throughout the bid process that they wanted to be a permanent home, that they wanted to make it just like Omaha, and that they wanted to invest in the tournament to help it grow.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/06/03/ ... =/99/104//

And in typical fashion from the neighbors to the East, bitter grapes when not given their way. :cry:

Insulted and hurt by the ACC’s decision to take the ACC Baseball Championship away from Greensboro and the Hoppers’ NewBridge Bank Park and move it to Durham for four consecutive years, Donald Moore says it feels like the league is expanding away from its home. “Going, going, gone,” Moore said. “That’s what this feels like.” Moore said he was insulted by the timing of the announcement and hurt that he had to tell his staff the tournament’s brief-yet-successful run in Greensboro was over. “It was deflating to me and my staff,” he said. “We’re very proud of what we do, and we’re proud of how this city has supported this event. I’m shocked.” Moore said he’d hoped that tradition and loyalty had a price, too. In 2010, Greensboro stepped in and gave the ACC baseball tournament a place to land when the league decided not to play the tournament in Myrtle Beach because of the controversy over the Civil War battle flag flying at the South Carolina state capitol. Moore said the league turned its highest profit ever that season. “I guess our best wasn’t good enough,” he said.

I guess that crowd over there need a lesson in good sportsmanship. :roll:

http://www.news-record.com/sports/artic ... f6878.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:46 pm 

More copycatting going on....

http://www.heraldsun.com/news/showcase/ ... ch-cluster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:23 pm 

wsnc62 wrote:

The university labs and the proposed development are part of the vision for a proposed new urban research cluster called the Durham Innovation District” that would locate life science and technology companies near university research labs and offices.

Uh Uh, no they DIDn't ! :huh1: I've heard that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I guess 'Innovation" is the new buzzword, that every city will be using attached to a District, Park, Plaza, Place, Court, Center, Square, Quarter, 3 Quarters, etc... :roll:

All kidding aside, I would say that they will meet with a good deal of success with that. I can see it having somewhat of a negative impact on RTP's plans to convert some of their acreage to a mixed-use urban type district. Since any of the companies that are being recruited by both entities can go 10 miles from RTP and get the real urban research vibe in a true downtown setting. Although I'm sure it will be said somewhere by someone :whistling: that it certainly won't have as much impact as the "Union Square Univ. District" in Hooterboro.